If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grill is then we would recommend the Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill.
If you are a versatile chef and like to cook fish, chicken, pork and beef then having a combo grill is a great way to go. The best gas charcoal combo grill is a money saver for folks that still want to savor their grilled food. Despite being higher priced than the traditional grill, you actually are getting two grills in one.
Here are the grills that we will be reviewing:
- Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill
- Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal Gas And Smoker Combo
- Char-Broil Gas2Coal 3-Burner Liquid Propane And Charcoal Hybrid Grill
- Backyard Grill Durable Charcoal Grill Combo
- Char-Broil Standard 1010 3-Burner Liquid Propane And Charcoal Combo Grill
- Royal Gourmet ZH3002-S 3-Burner Gas Charcoal Grill Combo
Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grills
Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill
The Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill is our favorite gas charcoal combo grill. This combo grill includes everything that you could want. It has plenty of power and size for cooking for a big group. And the precision capabilities you would want to cook a smoky burger over the charcoal. Lastly, the side burner is a great way to cook some veggies for steak fajitas.
- Electric igniter
- 3 gas burners (40,800 total BTUs)
- 438 square inches of cooking space on gas side and 580 sq inches on charcoal side
- 1260 square inches of cooking space (on both sides of the grill and including warming racks)
- Side burner (12,000 BTUs)
- Easier to clean charcoal system
- Adjustable charcoal tray
- Smoker functionality
- Cart design so it’s easy to move around on your patio
- Cast iron grates coated with porcelain to prevent your food from sticking
- Both sides have temperature gauges
- A lot of assembly required
- Some customers have complained of wear and tear on the parts
- Prone to rust
- No fire box included for those that want to smoke
- More expensive than other options
Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal Gas and Smoker Combo
Oklahoma Joe’s is a reliable brand and our favorite for anyone that also wants their combo grill to include a built in smoker. We really like the handles for their neat design and functionality of being cool to the touch. The side burner is the cherry on top to this excellent combo grill. Make sure you find a permanent spot for this beast as it is over 200 pounds. Despite the snazzy wheels it is not easy to move around.
- 3 burner gas grill (12,000 BTUs per burner)
- Charcoal grill which can convert to a smoker with an offset smoker box
- Side smoker box has its own access door
- 1060 square inches of cooking space 375 each side (750 sq in of primary cooking space excluding the smoker box which has 310 sq in)
- Side burner 12,000 BTUs
- Cool touch handles
- Large lid-mounted temperature gauges
- Not stainless steel so subject to rust and wear and tear
- Neat looking wheels but this combo grill is large and not easy to move around (200 lbs)
- some complaints that the side burner is not great
- Some complaints on the temperature control for the charcoal side
Char-Broil Gas2Coal 3-Burner Liquid Propane and Charcoal Hybrid Grill
Need to save space and save a few dollars? Char-Broil Gas2Coal 3-Burner Liquid Propane and Charcoal Hybrid Grill is the best combo grill value buy. This grill has only one chamber so you must choose whether you want to use gas or charcoal for your grilling session. However when you convert to charcoal the gas ignition system can ignite the coals. Anyone that has tried to get the coals burning with some newspaper knows this is a great benefit. It even has a decent 1 year and 5 year warranty.
- Good for smaller spaces
- Easy to convert between charcoal and gas – easy storage for charcoal tray when not in use
- Coal tray is easy to move
- Gas ignition system makes it easy to light the coals
- Compact and lightweight (110 lbs)
- 420 square inches of cooking space
- side burner 12,000 BTUs
- Good for entry level grillers
- 1 year limited warranty, 5 year burner warranty
- Only has one chamber so you can either use charcoal or gas but not both
- Some assembly required
- Complaints that the charcoal is too close to the grill and not adjustable
Backyard Grill Durable Charcoal Grill Combo
Our favorite feature of the Backyard Grill Durable Charcoal Grill Combo is the height adjust crank for the charcoal. The crank allows you to easily move your charcoal for easy temperature control. This grill is very light in weight, only about 90 lbs which makes it easier to maneuver. The side burner is always a plus. Unfortunately there are a lot of parts to assemble, but when you are done it is worth it.
- 262 square inches on charcoal
- 295 square inches on gas
- 3 burners with a total of 24,000 BTUs
- Side burner 12,000 BTUs
- Coal height adjuster
- About 90 lbs
- A lot of assembly required
Char-Broil Standard 1010 3-Burner Liquid Propane and Charcoal Combo Grill
The Char-Broil Standard 1010 3-Burner Liquid Propane and Charcoal Combo Grill provides a good bang for your buck for a full blown combo grill. We like the ability to raise and lower the coals on the charcoal side. In our opinion this is a must have feature. However the ventilation is not great on the charcoal side. There is a deluxe model of this grill however the standard version gets the job done. This grill has a smaller cooking area but if you don’t need to cook for large parties this combo grill will do just fine.
- Crank for adjusting charcoal height
- 3 burners with a total of 36,000 BTUs cooking power
- Ash Catcher
- There are 2 versions – the deluxe version includes doors for undercarriage
- Side burner
- Smaller cooking area of 505 square inches of cooking area
- Not great ventilation on the charcoal side for controlling air flow and temperature
Royal Gourmet ZH3002-S 3-Burner Gas Charcoal Grill Combo (Stainless Steel)
The Royal Gourmet ZH3002-S 3-Burner Gas Charcoal Grill Combo is a great looking grill with its stainless steel features. The 4 wheels make the grill more mobile. It is fairly light weight at about 105 lbs when compared to other combo grills. The charcoal adjuster is a crank which makes for easier in charcoal height adjustment. The 3 vents on the charcoal side of the grill allow for better temperature control. Despite its good looks some people question the durability so it requires extra care and maintenance.
- 3 stainless steel burners with 27,000 BTUs
- Adjustable crank for the charcoal side
- 742 sq in of primary cooking space
- 3 vents for charcoal temperature control
- 105 lbs
- Durability – many reports of it not lasting very long
- Not easy assembly
- No Side burner
What to look for in a Gas Charcoal Combo Grill
Consider factors that are most important to you when looking for the best gas charcoal combo grill. The best dual fuel grill option for you will vary upon your needs. What is your ideal grill set up? Are you grilling for a big group? Are you going to be grilling multiple dishes at the same time?
Our charcoal gas grill combo reviews consider all the below factors:
Total Grilling Surface
The total grilling surface area of your grill is very important to consider. If you plan on grilling for big parties, you are going to need a lot more cooking surface area for your grill.
When considering the burners it is important to consider the number of burners and BTUs (or power) of those burners. Most combo grills we review have 3 burners which is more than enough for most grilling surfaces. However the power of those burners is very important.
The range of BTUs for the grills we review are 27,000 BTUs to 40,000 BTUs. If you are going to be grilling a lot of burgers at once you will need more BTUs to cook quickly and evenly. You won’t need as much power if you are just grilling for the family.
Do you like cooking a little BBQ sauce for your an extra flavor on your chicken? Having a side burner is a plus for any grill master.
Size of your grill and portability
Do you have a small balcony patio but still want to use charcoal or gas? You are going to need a smaller and lighter grill. Smaller two in one grills usually only have the option of either using gas or charcoal but not both at the same time.
Because combo grills are larger than most grills they are very heavy. While most have wheels they are not particularly easy to move. It is good to have plenty of space to park your combo grill.
There is not a better way to seal in the flavor of your prime cuts than a charcoal grill. However, charcoal does take longer and requires more maintenance. Many combo grills have hand cranks for changing the height of your charcoal. This is great for charcoal grills as you can more easily control the temperature. Ease of access to the charcoal is important if you will need to add more charcoal while cooking. Lastly, when you are done grilling, having easy access to ashes makes cleanup easier.
If you want to also smoke a pork shoulder on your combo grill then you will likely need a fire box. Believe it or not, many of the best gas charcoal combo grills even have a side fire box that allows you to use your charcoal grill as a smoker.
Rust can quickly ruin your grill if you are not careful. Keeping your combo grill clean is very important if you want your grill to last. Having porcelain or stainless steel material helps the grill to last longer. Also, how easy is it to get in and clean out the grease or empty the ashes? The easier it is the more likely you are to maintain your grill and keep it for longer.
This video provides a good overview of the many variables to consider when look for the best dual fuel grills.
The Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grills give you versatility on the grill. Lock in some flavor with a hot sear and then let the charcoal add subtle hints of smokiness to a delicious steak.
Our favorite is the Char-Griller Duo Gas Charcoal Grill because of the power it offers on the gas side of the grill. The delicate touch of the charcoal grill gives you all the flavor you could want. The easy dump ash tray allows for clean grilling.
This grill checks all the boxes for the best combo grill.