Best Portable Pellet Grill
If you are in a hurry and want to find out what the Best Portable Pellet Grill is then we would recommend the Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Pellet Grill Package.
A portable pellet grill is ideal for those who want function, quality, and versatility in their grilling. From tailgating to camping trips, or even camper living in general, this type of grill can go with you anywhere. For excellent woody flavors, versatility in cooking styles, and a desire to go anywhere and share delicious, tender food, a portable pellet smoker grill is just what you need.
Before we get into which portable pellet grill is best, it is vital to know what elements for which you are looking. To make this task easy, we drew up some of the essential facts and tips you may want to know during your search.
Here are the grills that we will be reviewing:
- Traeger Grills Ranger TBT18KLD
- Camp Chef Pursuit Portable Pellet Grill PPG20
- Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Pellet Grill Package
- Z Grills ZPG-7002B 8-in-1 Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
- ASMOKE Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
What is a Portable Wood Pellet Grill?
First, a portable pellet smoker grill is a multi-use appliance that grills, smokes, or bakes various meats. With extra portability, you can take them to the game, camping, or even just to your backyard to entertain the family.
A portable pellet grill cooks your food with a clean, slow, and low system using food-grade compressed wood pellets. This convection grill takes the wood pellets into the pellet hopper and dispenses them when needed into the auger. The auger then loads the wood into the chamber whenever it runs low.
What to Look For in a Portable Pellet Grill
Some qualities are more critical than others for portable pellet smoker grills. These characteristics are relatively basic but fundamental to the overall quality of this grill type.
Portability & Size
Since you are looking for a portable wood pellet grill, the size, weight, and mobility are vital. Depending on your needs, you may prefer one of the best small pellet grills instead of a more complex model.
Whether you are looking for a tabletop pellet grill, tailgate smoker grill, or a portable wood pellet grill for everyday use, features are critical. Depending on the bells and whistles you need, a small pellet grill might not have every characteristic you want.
Alternatively, a larger pellet grill may have too many unneeded features. It is up to you to figure out what kind of features suit you the best.
How strong and long something lasts is always essential to pick out any type of appliance. No different than any other grill, a durable product that works without much hassle is almost always preferred.
As always, the price is a significant factor. In the case of the best portable pellet grill, paying a little more most likely pays off. However, there are still plenty of high-quality smokers that are suitable for a lower budget.
Smoke Flavoring for Portable Wood Pellet Grills
With so many types of wood out there, it is a little overwhelming to decide what direction to go. Here is a general list of what woods go with certain foods. Do not be afraid to do some experimentation!
- Chicken: Any wood type is compatible with chicken besides maple and oak.
- Vegetables: Veggies are incredibly tasty when smoked over pecan, hickory, or maple wood.
- Pork: Pork smokes well over just about all types of wood except for oak and mesquite.
- Beef: With the exception of applewood, beef retains smoke flavor from any woods with ease.
- Fish: Oak, alder, or mesquite wood gives fish a delightful smoke that is not too overpowering.
Quick Portable Pellet Grill Tips
- Use your own meat probe, even if one comes with the grill. With a high-quality digital thermometer, you can be 100 percent sure that grill temperature is what it is supposed to be.
- Keep it clean, making sure to get rid of gunk on grill grates and tossing any unused pellets. The presence of old pellets can ruin the taste of your next meal.
- Make sure to have enough workspace and consider where you will take the grill and how you will use it. If you need extra space to come with the grill, make sure that it has enough. However, it is always more ideal to have a grill that is a little too big over being too small.
- Some models do not include an option for searing traditionally. If this is a quality that you need, you just need to make sure the grill you choose has one with it.
Top 5 Portable Pellet Grill Reviews
Since buying a portable pellet smoker grill can be a little overwhelming, we put together a quick and easy list of the best ones available. Even though you must find one that suits your specific needs, it is always a good starting point to check portable pellet grill reviews, which let you know what models or brands stand out from the rest.
Traeger Grills Ranger TBT18KLD
As far as tabletop smoker grills go, this 70-pound Traeger model is portable and powerful. It is heavier than it looks for such a small model, but portability does not suffer. If you pay special attention to the back of the grill, giving it adequate ventilation, the Ranger can even serve as a tailgate pellet grill.
- The small size makes it easy to put together, clean, and use, even for beginners.
- Infuses a fantastic smoke flavor into any food cooked inside
- Super portable with a small size to fit in a trunk and a latching lid to keep it safe.
- Comes with a high-quality cast iron griddle for frying or searing
- Included digital controller for temperature control and keeping food warm
- More massive than it seems but still lightweight for a tabletop pellet grill
Camp Chef Pursuit Portable Pellet Grill PPG20
This 100-pound tailgate pellet grill is just what you need when you need portability mixed with the features of a full-sized grill. With an auto-ignite and auto-auger quality, there is little to worry about with getting things started. Keeping the styrofoam that comes in the packaging will make the problematic folding down much more manageable.
- Has a slide and grill feature, where you can easily do a quick sear
- Portable but does not compromise on all the available features of a full-sized grill.
- There is a large area for cooking and preparation.
- Built well, durable, and works as a full grill
- Easy clean up with an ash-removal system
- The instructions are written poorly and can be confusing.
- Awkward to fold and unfold the legs
Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett Pellet Grill Package
At 71 pounds, this intuitive portable pellet smoker grill comes together quickly. With WiFi, you can connect the grill with your smartphone, but the app could be much better. This grill is one of the best tailgate pellet grills, mostly because it is durable and portable without losing quality.
- Not only does this tailgate pellet grill fold up nicely, but the legs also turn into handles.
- There is little overpowering lingering smoke, ideal for less spacious areas.
- Leaves an incredible smoky flavor
- Performance and quality are superb.
- Includes a tote bag and cover for ultimate portability
- Might be noisy as the auger loads the wood
- Temperature fluctuations can make or break a meal.
Z Grills ZPG-7002B 8-in-1 Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
With 84 pounds of high-quality and durable material, this portable pellet smoker grill has an ideal constitution for not just camping but tailgating and entertaining as well. One button starts the grill, and you can then bake, grill, braise, roast, and more. Such a versatile grill will serve you well, but ensure to follow the instructions for initial use.
- Easy to put together and use, which is perfect for beginners
- Leaves food beautifully smoked and tender
- Durable construction and heavy-duty materials
- High-quality and great value for a lesser-known brand
- Set the temperature and walk away, which will keep the temperature reasonably steady.
- Can be challenging to maintain cleanliness
- May have issues with the control panel and temperature.
ASMOKE Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
Available in four colors, this tabletop pellet grill comes in as the most lightweight at 49 pounds. Being one of the best small pellet grills, it has impeccable design, quality, and versatility. It does not matter what you cook; it will turn out delicious and tender through and through.
- Lightweight, smaller size, and incredibly portable
- Excellent well-built design and heavy-duty construction
- Provides consistent and reliable results, no matter what is cooking
- Extra versatile as a tabletop pellet grill and easy to put in the trunk
- Size allows for easy cleaning.
- Possible issues getting in touch with customer service
Deciding on the best portable pellet grill for you may be overwhelming, but hopefully, you have a better idea of what to look for during your search. With durable, affordable, a wide array of features, and, most importantly, portability, there is a model out there that suits your needs.
The overall best tailgate pellet grill here is the Davy Crockett model, only for its ease of use and versatility. As for the best small pellet grill, both Traeger and ASMOKE have a solid model. Depending on your preferences, one is likely more attractive than the other.